Friday, November 28, 2014

DB Congress Feature Rep of the Month: Rita Eaton, Ireland

She's never seen Dierks Bentley perform live, yet Rita "Reet" Eaton proudly promotes our president daily from across the pond.  

Our newest DB Congress rep from Ireland tells us about the unique way she came to know and love Dierks Bentley, his band and his music.



"Earlier this year, a Saturday morning, I was scrolling through my Tweets when I noticed one from Whispering Bob Harris raving about some Country Singer named Dierks Bentley. Who? Never heard of him. So, being a music lover, I immediately went on YouTube and checked him out. 

The first song I played was "I Hold On".....liked it. The next? "Bourbon in Kentucky." REALLY liked it and kept going. "Am I The Only One," "Up On The Ridge," "Come A Little Closer."  It's not very often music appeals to me straight away, it usually takes a few listens before I really get into it. 

I tweeted Whispering Bob Harris back saying "Why in the hell have I not heard of @DierksBentley before?" I was hooked, immediately got onto Amazon and ordered "Riser" and I haven't stopped playing it since. It is on constantly in my car going to and from work. It sets the mood for the day and gets rid of the stresses on the way home. I bop around to it in my kitchen whilst cooking, and you will quite often see me, a 53 year old girl, playing air guitar along with Brian Layson (I love his playing). 

Since then I have purchased all of Dierks CD's that are available and have played little else since. "Riser" and "Up On The Ridge" probably being the most played.

Music has always been a major part of my life. I have been lucky enough to see some great bands and artists over the years ranging from Fleetwood Mac to Michael Jackson, Mary Chapin Carpenter to Robert Plant, Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, the list goes on. I even sang in a band a good few years back (albeit for fun more than anything). 

I'm a lyrics person, it's always the lyrics of a song that appeal to me first, and I think that's why I love Dierks. His songs are a mix of fun, loving, meaningful, and some really make you think. "Here on Earth" is one particularly close to my heart. Of course it helps that he's not too hard on the eyes either. 

I follow the band on Twitter and Facebook (if they don't come to Ireland or the UK it's probably the closest I'll get to them!). I like that they are fun - Cassady's [Feasby, bass] humour in particular appeals to me.  As we say here in Ireland "he's a gas man." That doesn't mean you suffer with flatulence by the way Cassady, it means you're funny....in a good way. 

So, I've been introducing Dierks to my friends. Earlier this year I was travelling back to Ireland from my annual trip home (the UK) waiting to board my car onto the ferry.  It was a sunny day, the window was down and Riser CD was playing.  Next thing I know half a dozen people are stood around the car having a listen. That's when you know you're onto something good. 

Anyway, after all is said and done, I love Dierks Bentley's music.  It cheers me up, it makes me feel good, and to me that is what music is about. So keep doing what you're doing Dierks, only please come to Ireland soon."
=================================================

Thanks for sharing your story, Reet!  We hope Irelend lands on Dierks' tour schedule soon for you!

Follow @Reeteaton on Twitter and our list of DBC Reps on our @dbcongress page!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to this awesome group of Dierks Bentley fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has been to Ireland in the past...he just might pop up there again sometime. Keep checking the tour page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jane, I do keep checking the tour dates....in hope. He was in Ireland at C2C March of this year. At that point I hadn't heard of him, and it was because Whispering Bob Harris was raving about his performance at C2C that I got into his music. Had I known about him at that time, trust me....I would have been there.

    ReplyDelete