Friday, September 22, 2017

Emotional New Dierks Bentley Song Featured on "Only The Brave" Soundtrack

What Dierks Bentley teased earlier this summer has finally come to light.


Today, he released a new song that will be featured on the “Only the Brave” soundtrack.

A new Dierks song always brings about excitement. But this one comes with an emotional pull you might not have been prepared for.

“This is at the top, if not the most meaningful experience I’ve ever been a part of,” said Dierks. “It hits me harder than any other song I’ve had a chance to be a part of.

That statement is no exaggeration.

The song, “Hold the Light,” written by Dierks, Bon Iver’s Sean Carey, Joe Trapanese, and Jon Randall, graces the soundtrack of a movie that tells the story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots. 

On June 28, 2013, 19 of the 20 Hotshot firefighters were killed in the Yarnell, Ariz., wildfire. What looked to be a relatively straightforward firefighting day turned tragic when the winds unexpectedly shifted, trapping the men.

After an early viewing of the movie, director Joseph Kosinski asked Dierks if he would contribute to the rough version of the closing song.

"My first reaction was 'This song is perfect [as is].' But I was honored to be asked and thought maybe I could take it up a notch and put my voice on it," said Bentley.

"The message of the song is that you are never alone," said Kosinski. "It shows the enduring sense of camaraderie and support for one another at the core of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, whether they were working on the fires, or back home just living their lives."

The lyrics are emotional and reflective, coupled with the hope of seeing your loved ones "on the other side." The music itself is haunting, flooding the listener with a process of pain to hope. Just a few seconds in and it's clear this song is motion picture quality.


"Hold the Light" is available now on iTunes and on Amazon.

Dierks was one of the first to publically to help the families of the Hotshots (the 19 men left behind many loved ones, including 51 children). That July, Dierks headlined a “Country Cares” concert fundraiser in Prescott Valley, Ariz., where the Band Perry, Randy Houser, and David Nail joined him on stage. The event raised an incredible $476,000, all of which went directly to the families of the fallen firefighters.

As Dierks said at that time, “I want to help honor the memory of these 19 brave firefighters, to be part of the healing process for the community and to raise money for the families left behind. I was and still am devastated by this tragic event in my home state. I certainly can’t imagine what these families are enduring, but I do believe in the healing power of music.”

The lone survivor from the Hotshots team, Brendan McDonough, joined Dierks at the concert, along with the families of the fallen.
Thank you to KMLE 107.9 from Phoenix, Ariz., for this photo, taken from their Twitter page.
"Over the last couple years, I’ve met and gotten to know Brendan ... and my mom has met with some of the guys’ families, and it’s still unfathomable to put yourself in any of their shoes," said Dierks.

The day after the 2017 ACM Awards, Dierks and his mom visited the Hotshots memorial site in Yarnell, Ariz.

Within the week, at the Country Thunder concert, Dierks shared an inspired song he wrote after visiting the memorial. Deborah Power, DB Congress Rep from Arizona, captured this never-before-heard song, “Hotshots.”


"It's such a powerful, important story that hits home to me so hard."



Only the Brave will be in theaters nationwide on Oct. 20. The movie stars Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Taylor Kitsch, Jeff Bridges and Jennifer Connelly.

Lyrics:
If it wasn’t known
That our love will carry on
I will be the wind
That echoes on the canyon wall

One more day with you
To walk around our neighborhood
We will never know
Like it was understood

You never say goodbye
Just let me hold the light

If you’ve given up
I will call an end to this
I will be your rock
From my perch

If you walk the ridge
You will find the marks and scars
Kneel down by the tree
Under the setting stars

You never say goodbye
Just let me hold the light

We never say goodbye
I’ll see you on this side or the other
Where the desert sun kisses the sky
Baby hold the light
Keep it in your eyes
And promise that you’ll dream of me
Beyond the walls of time
In the end we lay beside
Just look up at the light

Just let me hold the light
Let me hold the light



This is the second motion picture song for Dierks. Earlier this year, his song "Days of Dark" was featured in "The Shack."


Jessica Borrelli
DB Congress Rep, WA
@AllTheWayToMe

No comments:

Post a Comment