Monday, February 13, 2012

Dierks Helps Arizona Turn 100

As somebody who spent 19 of her first 24 years living in Phoenix, Arizona, I identify the state as my "home." It's a state of great and diverse beauty, from the Grand Canyon and snow-covered peaks in Flagstaff, to the Red Rocks of Sedona and the Colorado River in Lake Havasu City. The dry desert shaped me as I grew, and it's a place that I miss dearly now that I've moved away. 

Arizona turns 100 tomorrow, February 14th, and our President, Dierks Bentley, shares Arizona with me (and many others) as his "home." And as part of the Arizona Centennial festivities that were this past weekend, Dierks was the honorary Grand Marshal, his Top-5 hit "Home" was the official song, and Dierks was asked to lead the Centennial Ride, a 16-mile motorcycle ride from nearby suburb Mesa to the State Capitol in downtown Phoenix.

Before the ride, Dierks shared some pictures via Twitter: 





couple pics from the AZ ride today. me sitting on the "copper chopper"






and me riding in to the state house. proud to be an AZ native! off to the grammies. 3rd city today...

As we all know, Dierks is no stranger to motorcycle rides, as he hosts his Miles & Music for Kids charity rides across the country each year. But he was particularly excited about this ride:
"I've done some pretty cool rides in the past, but this will definitely be the coolest one," the 36-year-old singer says. "The feeling of pride (in) Arizona, the centennial, motorcycles, being out in the desert -- I'm getting more excited about it every day."

At least 2,000 motorcyclists were expected to join the ride, but one estimate after the Centennial Ride had upwards of 4,700 bikes in it! That's HUGE!

After the ride, Dierks joined Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on the main stage at the State Capitol, where he performed "Home" to kick off the evening's concert festivities.

I hope that all Arizonans, whether native or raised or living there, feel the pride that 100 years brings this week, and enjoy the place "we all call HOME."

~ Carrie Srebro (DBC Rep/Chart Reporter ~ NC)

No comments:

Post a Comment