Friday, February 10, 2012

"Home" Eyes Top of Chart

In its 19th week on the charts, Dierks Bentley's ACM Song of the Year nominated single "Home" continues its climb up the charts, coming in at #7 on both Mediabase and Billboard. 

Billboard contained quite a treat this week, with a cover story about Dierks and the new album, but it focused primarily on the song's creation and meaning. 

Here are some highlights, and I'll include a link to the story below, as well: 
"When the Academy of Country Music announced Dierks Bentley's "Home" as a song of the year finalist, the moment was, frankly, a bit obvious." 
"I'm always looking for a new sound," Bentley observes. "I draw a little bit from the rock bands I like. [Their albums are] different from the records before -- some you like, and some you don't. I always try to push for something new. That's a big part of who I am. I don't know if it's the smartest thing to do, but it's definitely me and the way I work." 

"And then Dierks said, 'You know what? I've always wanted to write a really inclusive patriotic song.' And I thought, 'Okay, there's some common ground that we can all get behind.' At that point, I was willing to follow his lead. You just get a sense that this is someone who's got honorable intentions in life." (Dan Wilson, co-writer of "Home.")
 (Click picture for full-size image)

This week, "Home" has been showing excellent growth at radio, so far picking up 2.5 million in audience (through Friday). It is a lock for #5 on Mediabase, and it's possible he'll just squeak past Luke Bryan's falling "I Don't Want this Night to End" (which will go recurrent next week), to snag the #5 spot on that chart as well. Keith Urban will be your next #1 song with "You Gonna Fly." It's hard to say whether Kenny Chesney's "Reality" will get enough oomph in it to hit the top spot, but if it does, Dierks will be next in line. If not, Dierks will take #1 after Keith has 2 weeks at the top. Either way, this song looks ripe and ready to take the top spot! 

~ Carrie Srebro (DBC Rep/Chart Reporter ~ NC) 

No comments:

Post a Comment