Wednesday, February 24, 2010

DIERKS HITS THE BLUEGRASS, RED DIRT ROAD

Dierks Bentley performed "Red Dirt Road" at the Country Music DJ and Radio Hall of Fame in Nashville, TN last night as a tribute to Brooks & Dunn, the dynamic duo who are "splitting, but not quitting." They were presented with the Country Radio Seminar Career Achievement Award during the event held to celebrate radio DJs.

Dierks introduces Red Dirt Road like this:

"One of the first concerts I saw in Arizona was when B&D came to town. I'm a huge fan of theirs. I knew I couldn't out honky-tonk Kix Brooks, and I can't out-sing Ronnie Dunn but I thought I could bring in some good friends in the bluegrass community, the guys from the travelin' McCourys: Ronnie McCoury, Rob McCoury, Jason Carter, Alan back on the upright bass and... we'll out-bluegrass 'em! I picked a song these guys wrote, they've influenced me not only from the stage in their shows and their whole catalogue of hits, but also just as songwriters also....they're great songwriters this is a song the two of them wrote together and I think it typifies everything that's great about a great country song. Here's our version of it:"



John Shomby -"the guy in charge of programming at Max Media of Hampton Roads"--had this to say about the event: "Tonight I had the opportunity to attend the Country Radio Hall of Fame dinner honoring some DJ's, radio managers and Brooks & Dunn for Career Achievement. Two big momemts - Taylor Swift came onstage to intro one of the DJ's (no, not Jimmy Ray!). The second was Dierks Bentley performing with the bluegrass band, The McCoury's, and doing a blue grass version of "Red Dirt Road". Really cool rendition and you can tell that Dierks really likes the bluegrass thing. Don't be surprised if he hits town with this band and does a bluegrass show some time soon. "

Other artists were there to help honor B&D and the DJs, including Taylor Swift, Luke Bryan, Randy Owen and Blake Shelton.

*Special thanks to Meg for finding the You Tube video for us!

1 comment:

  1. Dierks did a great job singing Red Dirt Road! Wish we could have seen it live.

    ReplyDelete